Monday, November 5, 2007

iMovie Ideas for Oedipus Rex

Jackie and Frank...this started off as a comment in the last post, but I wanted to embed two videos so I made a new post...

We just got our network up and running, and I'm in the iMovie planning stages. I'm thinking one of two options:

1. Sock Puppet scenes - Using iMovie and voiceover narrative to do some sock puppet drama...maybe reader's theater or something but heavily utilizing the camera and close ups, etc.

2. Speech interpretations - Students would take a 10-15 line (or possibly lengthier) speech, record the voice-over and then visually interpret the lines. I'm just struggling with what they would film. I definitely want to avoid simply their face on camera while reading, and I don't want to go the imported still from the internet route. Maybe filming drawings? Not sure.
A few years ago I had students find important quotes from a Ray Chandler story (Cathedral, I believe), illustrate those quotes, and then film the illustrations. It worked out pretty well, although the film as a whole doesn't make much sense...hee hee.




The "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" Video we watched last week was kind of the same concept. Here's the video. It's on Youtube, so you'll have to check it out at home.




Frank...what kind of help do you need?

3 comments:

fdileo said...

Hey Joel,

I really like what you are doing with the BLOG and the texts...I'd like to incorporate Imovie or some sort of presentation program with my seniors....the course is sooo discussion base that integrating technology will create more energy and zest in the classroom...When are we planning to meet with the AP group again? Those sharing sessions were invaluable.

Joel said...

I agree about those sessions. I'm really looking forward to them. Time to start nagging Julie.

iMovie tends to invigorate classes in a big way. Is McTigue the only City Voices City Visions teacher over there at Honors?

fdileo said...

Hey Joel,

Sorry for the long delay...McTique is the only teacher at CHS that was part of the program...

We really need to nag Julie to restart the AP pullouts...